Friday, August 22, 2008

My BFF, Karen!!



What can I say, I am LUCKY!!! Karen has been my best friend for over 18 years!!! We met in college, Moorhead Tech, in class. Our instructor wanted the class to partner up with someone and go over our assignment. I turned around and Karen was sitting behind me and I asked, "You want to be partners?" And that is how our friendship started.

She being a city girl, Fargo, and me, a rural America girl, Milnor, there was a lot to learn from each other. There are many stories of how this CITY GIRL got a taste of the rural style of living. Yeah, sure city life is great....malls, movie theaters, restaurants but once you leave the CITY and head to the country.....it was a different world for her. Now, it wasn't like Karen never left the CITY. She went on those family vacations and road trips but to experience rural America, that is a different story.

I can remember the first time Karen came home with me to Milnor. Once we exited the interstate and hit good old Highway 13....her attention shifted from finding the right song on the radio to gazing out the window at the countryside. And that we hadn't met a car in 20 miles either!! Soon, there were questions of what was that? And OMG, what is that big bird? It's an owl!! JK!!!

Well, me being the wonderful friend I am, decided to do a little matchmaking!!!

Bill and I had been friends since childhood. Bill, who liked my hair ribbons and was always seated in front of me in class because the teachers always seated the class alphabetically, was available. So, I asked Karen to come home with me for the weekend for a bachelorette party I was going to. In a small town, as the nite wears on, bachelorette and bachelor parties seem to become one big get together. So at the BIG get together, I introduced Bill and Karen and then scrammed!! The rest is history....they ended up getting MARRIED!!! Score one for the BFF, Abby!!!

They will celebrate their 15th year wedding anniversary in September. We both were in each other's weddings. They have two kids, Drew-8 and Leah-5. And what cute kiddos!! They are very good kids. Very polite and well-behaved!! They even lived in Milnor for awhile. City girl to rural America girl. They make their home in North Fargo now.

Karen and I chat online everyday during the week. We talk on the phone. We giggle, we cry, we share!! We get tattoos together and get locked out of her car or house, TOGETHER!!! With Karen, there is always an adventure and a good story to boot!! BFF's...NO, sisters is how I see it!!

I love Karen to the moon and back and am blessed to have her in my life! She is coming to vist me in October and I can hardly wait to see what adventures we will have!!!

Love ya sista, RRIIGGHHTTT!!!! 10-4 good buddy. Over and out!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right back at ya Sista! You are the best friend a girl could ever ask for! We sure do have fun whenever we're together & we sure do laugh...alot!! You are truly a blessing in my life and I thank you for your friendship! 10-4!